Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Patois of Salmon



I think he's going to run...
Vermont’s own Auditor Tom Salmon got a little mention outside of Vermont on Politico.com the other day and, what the heck, I may as well share it here with the recent stuff on the likely Salmon run.
Remarking to Politico.com on his impending decision to challenge US Senator Bernie Sanders, Salmon explained that he is 65% in. "Right now, I am 65 percent in. When I hit 75 percent it will commence exploratory."

He continued attempting to clarify his position:
"I am not attached to the 2012 outcome, my odds, or my political career. I don't need to be senator, or governor, or stay put as state auditor — I need to be an authentic self-utilizing power along the lines of excellence. I am deeply concerned that we address risks of economic, political and spiritual significance through a new brand of leaders that communicate effectively from the sincere center."

The 68-word quote from Politico.com was picked up at Slate.com by David Weigel, who carefully lays out the daunting practical challenges Salmon might face, then throws it aside and says:
"But let's ignore all that. Let's focus on Salmon's completely incomprehensible quote. It sounds like a No Labels manifesto translated into Laotian and back into English."
He declares Salmon’s quest The most doomed campaign of 2012.
I might differ only with Weigel’s English-to-Laotian-to-English theory. I think Salmon’s phrase “I need to be an authentic self-utilizing power along the lines of excellence” reads more like self-help-comic-super-hero-patois.
Commence exploratory! Kapow! Go for it!
Is he getting better and better or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment